This vegan creme brulee is infused with saffron and orange blossom to make a delicious and easy dessert. It’s light, sweet, and packed with saffron and orange blossom flavor!
Naturally vegan, gluten-free, and nut-free!
Vegan creme brulee
Creme brulee (crème brûlée) is a dessert that translates to “burnt cream” from French.
One could think that this dessert originated in France, hence the name, but the true origins of creme brulee, are claimed by France, England, and Spain.
Aside from its controversial origin, creme brulee is one of those simple yet super-indulgent treats!
This vegan creme brulee is no exception, simple to make yet tastes incredibly indulgent.
Here’s why you’ll love saffron, orange blossom infused creme brulee
This recipe for vegan creme brulee is versatile and customizable. You can replace saffron and orange blossom with vanilla, spices, or even fruits and herbs.
Easy to make, it takes less than 20 minutes to make from start to finish. You can make them ahead of time and have dessert in the fridge at any given time.
What you’ll need to make vegan creme brulee
- Coconut cream – the solid part from a chilled can of full-fat coconut milk or canned coconut cream.
- Soy milk – you can use any plant milk you like.
- Corn starch
- Sugar – any type will work. Please note that the color of your sugar will affect the final aspect.
- Saffron – fresh saffron threads
- Orange blossom water
- A pinch of sea salt
How to make vegan creme brulee
- In a medium saucepan, add your coconut cream, soy milk, and corn starch. Whisk to combine.
- Add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil, then simmer until thick.
- Transfer your custard into ramequins and chill for at least 4 hours.
- Before serving, add sugar on top of your creme brulee and use a blowtorch to burn it.
- Serve immediately!
Tips to make this recipe perfectly every time
- For a creamier texture, replace soy milk with cashew milk. The cashew milk will help this vegan creme brulee be creamier.
- Use fresh saffron threads, if you can. The saffron adds a delicious subtle sweetness and a light yellow hue.
- To make this vegan creme brulee, vanilla flavored, swap the orange blossom water for the same quantity of vanilla extract.
- Only burn your sugar when you are ready to serve. If burned beforehand, the sugar layer may dissolve into a liquid. It is still tasty but not very good-looking.
- Lastly, please be careful using the blowtorch!
More desserts you might want to try next
What you might need to make this creme brulee:
This vegan creme brulee is infused with saffron and orange blossom to make a delicious and easy dessert. It's light, sweet, and packed with saffron and orange blossom flavor!
- 1 cup coconut cream (solid part from a cold can of full-fat coconut milk)
- 1 1/2 cup soy milk (or plant milk of choice)
- 4 tbsp corn starch
- 3-4 tbsp sugar (cane sugar, coconut sugar, or caster sugar)
- 1 tbsp orange blossom water
- 1 tsp saffron
- a pinch of sea salt
- 3 tbsp sugar for the caramelized top
In a medium saucepan, add coconut cream, soy milk, corn starch, and whisk to dissolve the corn starch.
Add the remaining ingredients and bring to a boil over medium-high heat, while stirring occasionally to avoid any sticking.
Bring to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer for 5 to 6 minutes stirring frequently, until it thickens and resembles a custard texture.
Taste test for sweetness, add more sugar if needed.
Transfer to ramekins and place in the fridge to set for at least 4 hours before serving.
Before serving, add 1 tablespoon of sugar over the top of each of your creme brulee, and using a blowtorch, burn the sugar evenly on the surface.
Serve immediately, and enjoy!
- This creme brulee can be kept in the fridge for up to 4 days.
- Please be careful when using a blowtorch. If you are a minor, please ask an adult for help.
- Do not burn the sugar on top beforehand, do it last minute before serving. When the sugar is burned and kept for a while, it becomes liquid.
Pin this for later!
“ALL IMAGES AND CONTENT ON GLOWING BLUSH ARE COPYRIGHT PROTECTED. IF YOU WANT TO SHARE THIS CONTENT PLEASE DO SO BY USING THE SHARE BUTTONS PROVIDED. DO NOT POST THE RECIPE OR CONTENT IN FULL”