A classic hummus recipe – smooth, creamy, and incredibly delicious. Perfect as a dip or spread on a sandwich or mixed with a salad.
This hummus is made from simple ingredients in less than 10 minutes, using a food processor!
Naturally vegan, gluten-free, and nut-free!
Homemade hummus will forever change your mind about
This is not only a delicious dip but also very beneficial to your health. It can help lower your cholesterol level, help with weight management, and a good protein source.
Chickpeas are full of magnesium, manganese, and vitamin B6 (which help with common symptoms associated with PMS).
What you will need to make hummus
- Chickpeas: you can use dry or canned chickpeas. But o speed things up, I am using canned chickpeas. If using dry, soak them overnight and then cook them in a pot of boiling water until very soft.
- Tahini: for depth in flavor. I don’t recommend leaving the tahini out, or it will just taste like puréed chickpeas.
- Garlic: for a boost of garlicky flavor!
- Cold water: to help get the hummus as smooth and creamy as possible.
- Olive oil: for a richer texture.
- Lemon juice: to add freshness and acidity
- Salt & cumin: to season
Extra tips for a smoother hummus
- If using dry chickpeas, peel the skin off your chickpeas once cooked. I know it’s time-consuming, but it helps with the texture.
- If using canned, cook them for an extra 10 minutes in a pot of boiling water to make them softer and create a smoother hummus.
- Use ice cubes instead of water or icy cold water. Not sure about the science behind this but, it makes the hummus even creamier.
Suggestions for serving
- As a dip, with your favorite crackers or veggie sticks
- As spread on a sandwich.
- With leftover plain pasta for a creamy hummus pasta
- On salads, bowls and mixed with dressings
Other recipes you might want to try
What you might need to make this recipe
A classic hummus recipe - smooth, creamy, and incredibly delicious. Perfect as a dip or spread on a sandwich or mixed with a salad. Naturally vegan, gluten-free, and nut-free!
- 1 can chickpeas (15oz - 400gr)
- 3 garlic cloves (peeled)
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 4-5 tbsp cold water
- 1-2 tbsp olive oil (optional)
- 2-3 tbsp lemon juice
- pinch of salt
- pinch of cumin
Add all ingredients to a food processor.
Blend for 3 to 4 minutes, pausing every time needed, to scrape down the sides of the bowl, until the hummus is totally smooth.
If it's too thick, add more cold water a tablespoon at a time until you reach your desired consistency.
Taste test and season with additional salt, cumin, and/or lemon juice if needed. Serve with a drizzle of olive oil, and garnish with your favorite toppings.
- You can use either chickpea cooked from scratch or canned.
- Store in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 4-5 days.
Pin this for later!