This vegan dulce de leche is thick, gooey, and incredibly delicious. Perfect for spreading over toasted bread, drizzled over pancakes, or eaten by a spoonful!
Made with only two ingredients, this vegan dulce de leche is date-sweetened and gluten-free.
Vegan dulce de leche
Dulce de leche is a popular sweet treat that originated in Latin America.
This creamier version of caramel is made from cooking down milk with sugar until it caramelizes and turns into a gooey consistency. Dulce de leche taste similar to caramel but creamier and thicker.
How to make vegan dulce de leche
- Start by pouring coconut milk in a non-stick pot/ deep pan.
- Add date syrup. I prefer to use date syrup for this recipe as it makes dulce de leche bolder in taste.
- Sprinkle with sea salt to enhance sweetness. This step is optional but recommended.
- Stir to combine and bring dulce de leche to a gentle boil. Reduce heat and simmer. Dulce de leche will reduce down by about half and becomes thick and gooey.
- Let it cool down to avoid any accidents, then transfer to a container to store.
Tips for making this recipe perfectly
- Make your own homemade date syrup. You can find a detailed method here. (it only requires one ingredient)
- The choice of syrup may alter the flavor. Date syrup will give a deep date flavor, while maple or agave will make mild dulce de leche.
- Use canned full fat coconut milk. It won’t work with light coconut milk or the drinking kind.
- Use a non-stick pan or a pot to avoid any sticking/burning.
- Let the dulce de leche cool down before handling to avoid any accidents.
More sweet recipes for you to try
- Healthy caramel popcorn
- Apple cinnamon breakfast muffins
- Vanilla cupcake with chocolate frosting
- Apple crisp
What you might need to make dulce de leche
This vegan dulce de leche is thick, gooey, and incredibly delicious. Perfect for spreading over toasted bread, drizzled over pancakes, or eaten by a spoonful! Made with only two ingredients, this vegan dulce de leche is date-sweetened and gluten-free.
- 1 coconut milk can (400ml - 14oz)
- 1 cup date syrup (can be substituted with maple or agave syrup)
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract (optional)
- pinch of sea salt (optional)
Pour a can of coconut milk into a non-stick pan. Add date syrup and a pinch of salt and vanilla extract (if using).
Bring to a gentle boil at medium heat, then reduce the heat and simmer stirring occasionally.
Simmer until the dulce de leche has reduced down by about half or until the mixture is deeper in color and thick. It should coat a spoon.
Keep in mind that dulce de leche will thicken when cooling down, do not over reduce.
Let it cool down, then pour the dulce de leche in a lidded container.
- Store at room temperature in a sealed airtight container for up to 10 days, or keep in the fridge for up to 3 weeks.
- When dulce de leche is placed in the fridge it will thicken more. Get it out of the fridge 15 minutes before using or microwave for 30-sec intervals until it reaches desired consistency.
Pin this for later!